From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recovering RAID from an old server
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:40:21
1 On 20 Feb 2010, at 04:31, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 14:44 +0000, Stroller wrote:
4 >> On 19 Feb 2010, at 12:15, Iain Buchanan wrote:
5 >>> ...
6 >>> Can I randomly mount partitions read-only or will this screw
7 >>> things up
8 >>> further?
9 >>
10 >> If this is unsafe I will have ketchup & mustard on my baseball cap.
11 >
12 > er... could you translate that? How about "dead horse on my baggy
13 > green"?
14
15 http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/I'll+eat+my+hat
16
17 I just don't see how you can break anything *as long as* you don't let
18 the system write anything to the disks. How can read-only be unsafe?
19
20 One might be paranoid enough to clone images of the drive before
21 proceeding, however.
22
23 My one concern is over how you know this system uses software RAID.
24 You know that EIDE hardware RAID was available, right? I'm sure this
25 would rarely be available built-in to the motherboard.
26
27 Stroller.