From: Frank Baumeister <haga.chan@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Faulty IDE ribbon?
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:11:35
1 On Sunday 04 September 2005 15:39, Mick wrote:
2
3 > Just checking before I buy a new ribbon, that there is nothing more
4 > sinister happening with my secondary IDE controller. Suddenly and
5 > with no activity on my secondary IDE controller there's a noise as
6 > if my /dev/hdc (8G ATA drive) and /dev/hdd (CDWR) are reinitialised
7 > - i.e. the mechanical noises usually observed when the machine is
8 > switched on and the BIOS probes the devices on booting.
9 >
10 > Both devices are not mounted and there is no media in the CDWR.
11 > This is what dmesg shows:
12 > =================
13 > hdc: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x61
14 > hdc: DMA timeout error
15 > hdc: dma timeout error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
16 > DataRequest }
17
18 I had the same problem! As it turned out it was the ribbon that caused
19 these weird kernel messages and the noise during the start of the
20 system. So yes, replacing the ribbon would probably make these
21 symptoms disappear.
22
23 Regards
24 Frank