From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Interpret characters in /etc/inputrc
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 03:22:28
1 On 1/29/06, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > The help documentation for /etc/inputrc is found in`man 3 readline'
3 > under section INITIALIZATION FILE and is quite extensive. However I
4 > don't see any info regarding how to interpret the characters used in
5 > /etc/inputrc.
6 >
7 > Things like:
8 > # for linux console and RH/Debian xterm
9 > "\e[1~": beginning-of-line
10 > "\e[4~": end-of-line
11 > #"\e[5~": beginning-of-history
12 > #"\e[6~": end-of-history
13 > "\e[5~": history-search-backward
14 > "\e[6~": history-search-forward
15 > "\e[3~": delete-char
16 > "\e[2~": quoted-insert
17 >
18 > I happen to know what some of those are from use but how can I tell
19 > what characters are being referred to, that is, what does:
20 > "\e[2~" mean in plain english?
21
22 The \e is an escape. The other chars are exactly what you see.
23
24 For example, Ctrl-V will cause most terminals to print the next
25 character exactly as seen, without interpreting it. Although there
26 the printout for the escape character is "^[". So if on a linux
27 console you type Ctrl+v, then hit the Delete key, you should see
28 "^[[3~" appear on the screen.
29
30 -Richard
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list