From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] how to regain control of mouse
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 04:17:14
1 Just ran into a weird thing. I was viewing a slide show from 'qiv',
2 and it suddenly aborted leaving me with no mouse or keyboard. The
3 Window Manager still runs, nothing died except for 'qiv', but the WM
4 (enlightenment) was not getting focus from the mouse or keyboard. But
5 I could CTRL-ALT-F1 to switch to console, and do
6 $ DISPLAY=":0.0" /usr/bin/eesh restart
7 to restart enlightenment. After that I switched back to X, and now
8 enlightenment gets keyboard focus: I can use keyboard shortcuts to
9 switch between desktops and jump between windows, but I have no mouse.
10
11 I managed to safely shutdown almost all of the running applications
12 (except for azureus) with the keyboard and restarted X to get back my
13 mouse.
14
15 Is there a way to restart the X server without affecting the WM and
16 programs running on top of it? Or is there some way of getting the
17 mouse back in a situation like this?
18
19 Thanks,
20
21 W
22 --
23 "Well, someday we'll have to think about it [leaving earth] in the sense that
24 the sun will expand into earth's orbit, which will make it rather difficult to
25 live here."
26 ~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
27 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 23 days, 20:27
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list