From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] package.provided?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:09:23
1 Setup:
2
3 Installing X on Vbox vm runnning gentoo (amd64 not strict). Host
4 is win10 (64bit)
5
6 Installing the xorg-server is calling for the installation of
7 app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.0.32
8
9 However, my version of vbox is for a windows host (5.1.14). And
10 actually has the guest additions for that version already installed.
11
12 Also before I noticed what was getting installed emerge had tried and
13 failed to install the cited above package.
14
15 I noticed the version that matches my vbox version (5.1.14) is
16 available but masked unless setting ~amd64. I'm trying for a stable
17 setup so, put this in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords:
18
19 =app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.1.14 ~amd64
20
21 I tried to emerge it directly with:
22 emerge app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions
23
24 And sure enough emerge selected the right version but again the
25 install failed. I did not understand the failure from the build log.
26
27 But since I have the proper version and am able to install it with the
28 regular method vbox expects (mount the additions and install with
29
30 sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
31
32 And since that method uses the currently installed kernel for its
33 installation. Seems I can just reinstall the addtions using that
34 method and tell gentoo about it with package.provided.
35
36 Ok, `man portage' does not appear to mention where that file should
37 reside. Googling about it I find /etc/portage/profile is mentioned.
38 Is that still correct?
39
40 I ask because I put /etc/portage/profile/package.provided:
41
42 =app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.0.32
43
44 (removed the prior /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/
45 virtualbox-guest-additions:
46 =app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.1.14 ~amd64)
47
48 in place, but emerge still tries to install it so, either the syntax
49 if faulty or the location is, I guess.
50
51 I moved package.provided to /etc/portage/package.provided but still
52 emerge trys to install the guest-additions.
53
54 Can anyone offer suggestions about this... is it even the right way to
55 proceed?