From: Steven Susbauer <stupendoussteve@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] gentoo inside vmware on winxp
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 01:42:52
1 Harry Putnam writes:
2
3 > Do you think this being an athlon64 will have a bad effect on gentoo
4 > install or will it install as on any other machine and maybe even
5 > allow me to use the 64bit version if I felt adventurous?
6
7 It should install as on any other machine. Install an i586 or i686 build I
8 would think. I'm not sure if you can use a 64 bit guest OS in a 32 bit
9 vmware install, that would be worth looking into or at least testing.
10
11 > Do you think running gentoo as a main desktop as I have been when it
12 > owned the machine, doing all mail and most web related stuff like
13 > keeping a site up or just browsing, running most backup related stuff
14 > with rsync etc etc will work out in a vmware setting?
15
16 Yes, I think that would work out quite well, even if vmware-tools won't
17 work for you (the only reason I thought to install it was because of a
18 clock sync issue).
19
20 > Considering some rsyncing can be pretty labor intensive or compiling
21 > something like a kernel or emacs will this just bog down other work
22 > the athlon may be doing?
23
24 It is usually pretty good at sharing, but doing tons of things in the
25 guest and host OS at once can bog down the resources. The best thing I
26 could say for that is take a break from the video work when you want to
27 update world. :)
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list