From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on an odroidH2 using eMMC
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 23:02:20
1 On 17/12/19 6:31 am, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 >     has anyone successfully set up Gentoo on an odroidH2 using an eMMC?
5 >
6 > I have got as far as the pivot-root (so it loads and executes the
7 > intramfs) but fails to find the /dev/mmcblk0p[01] devices.  The sting
8 > is I copied the files it to a USB key and that boots fine! It appears
9 > that the eMMC initramfs is not loading the modules for the eMMC where
10 > as the USB version is (and they are using the same file!).  I have
11 > tried manually loading the modules from the efi shell I think are
12 > involved but no mmc devices appear.
13 >
14 > The eMMC runs uefi from GPT partitions using refind but as the bios
15 > finds and loads the ramdisk I think thats working ok (I did a working
16 > ubuntu install first, then reused those partitions.) I can use usb
17 > early boot to pivot to the root on the USB key but so far cant pivot
18 > from the eMMC initramfs to real_root. Ubuntu uses grub, which I tried
19 > first but had even less success with that.
20 >
21 > Hints anyone?
22 >
23 > BillK
29 One further point, I cant boot off the usb and pivotroot to the eMMC
30 root - again no eMMC modules loaded.  But once the usb root is running,
31 the eMMC modules are loaded.  Its looking like the kernel device
32 detection needs real root which is ... odd!
33
34 BillK