From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: cheap "make yourself" server: i7-950 or phenom 1100T?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:14:42
1 Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> [10-12-15 19:08]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > a friend of mine asked me to prepare a small server for him.
5 > Unfortunatelly he can not afford to buy brand-name server so
6 > he asked me to build one for him, from "consumer" components
7 > (yes, I already warned him about "zero-support" consequences).
8 > It should be some kind of "multi-purpose" server (web, ftp,
9 > mail, dns, virtualisation, etc). His budget is ~600-700€ (for
10 > cpu, mobo, ram), and he wants the best value for the money...
11 >
12 > Now, the crucial decision is what cpu (&mobo) I should use:
13 >
14 > A: Intel Core i7-950, 4x 3.06GHz (4 cores, + hyper-threading)
15 > B: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition, 6x 3.30GHz (6 cores)
16 >
17 > Is it better to use phenom with 6 true cores, or i7 with
18 > 4 real and 4 "fake" cores (hyper-threading)? Concerning price,
19 > there is no difference, both of the above mentioned cpus cost
20 > ~250€ here in Europe.
21 >
22 > btw, mobos for phenom have up to 4x dimm, while mobos for
23 > core-i7 can have up to 6x dimm (that might be a valid point,
24 > he is going to need a lot of memory).
25 >
26 > So what should I pick for him? i7-950, or phenom-1100t?
27 > Or yet some cheap 4/6-core opteron 4xxx/6xxx?
28 >
29 > Jarry
30 >
31 > --
32 > _______________________________________________________________
33 > This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
34 > Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.
38 I think the formula "performance/money" is fitted better by AMD
39 than by Intel.
40 If you take "performance" and "forget the money" Intel will be your
41 friend.
42
43 I myself choose an AMD Phenom X6 1090T (which can easily by pushed
44 to be a 1100T by the way) on a ASUS Crosshair IV Formula. But a few
45 days agao I heard Gigabyte would be more AMD friendly...
46
47 I uses this mainly for rendering -- all cores can be used by Blender
48 in parallel.
49
50 Only my two cent ... you currency may vary.
51
52 I DONT WANT to start a flamewar here!
53 Its only my opinion I wanted to express :)
54
55 Best regards,
56 mcc
57
58 PS: If the siftware you will use is not capable to put full load
59 on the machine you will pay for more hardware than it is used.
60
61 PPS: Hyperthreading uses unused parts of a core to run stuff which
62 does not need the used parts of the same core. When you have 8
63 identical jobs running, there have to be 8 identical parts in the
64 cores available otherwise there is nothing to hypethread. It depends
65 heavily on the kind and mixture of jobs running on the machine whether
66 hyperthreading is a win or a marketing joke...
67 I myself (own opinion) feel better to have six physical cores capable of
68 running six identical threads doing six things real parallel, than to
69 guess, whether 4 of the eight threads Blender is showing me is
70 /possibly/ waiting for getting access to an unused part of one of the
71 four cores.
72 Yes, I am an AMD friend since Intel way of "handling" the P90 floating
73 point bug for their customers.
74 And since this 15 (?) years this decision was ok -- at least for me.
75
76 ;)