From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TCP Advanced Congestion Control -- any difference?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:12:18
1 Am 20.10.2011 15:10, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
2 > Like the subject said: I am wondering if using a non-default TCP
3 > Advanced Congestion Control makes any difference.
4 >
5 > (The default is "cubic", but there are alternatives such as "htcp",
6 > "hybla", and "yeah")
7 >
8 > Any experiences?
11 I tested it on the only situation I had where it was even remotely worth
12 the effort to try it: NFS over TCP via an old and overutilized router:
13 No measurable effect. I guess a web or mail server (read: something that
14 is not primarily bandwidth constrained and where latency matters) might
15 benefit more. But then again, how do you measure that reliably?
16
17 You also have to consider where the client might be. A long distance,
18 high bandwidth connection will benefit from different congestion control
19 mechanisms than a local low bandwidth connection.
20
21 Regards,
22 Florian Philipp