From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] upower suddenly demands systemd
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 14:34:59
1 After today's emerge-webrsync, I have found out that usual
2 # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --ask world
3 does not work, trying but being unable to emerge systemd.
4
5 As I have found out, the reason for it was that upower
6 suddenly decided that it needs systemd but, for some
7 (lucky :) reason, it could not be emerged as my system
8 uses OpenRC.
9
10 The latest news said the following:
11
12 "UPower discontinued hibernate and suspend support in favor of systemd.
13 Because of this, we have created a compability package at
14 sys-power/upower-pm-utils which will give you the old UPower with
15 sys-power/pm-utils support back.
16 Some desktops have integrated the sys-power/pm-utils support directly
17 to their code, like Xfce, and as a result, they work also with the new
18 UPower as expected.
19
20 All non-systemd users are recommended to choose between:
21
22 # emerge --oneshot --noreplace 'sys-power/upower-pm-utils'
23
24 or
25
26 # emerge --oneshot --noreplace '>=sys-power/upower-0.99.0'
27
28 However, all systemd users are recommended to stay with
29 sys-power/upower."
30
31 However, that news did *not* say that without
32 # emerge --oneshot --noreplace 'sys-power/upower-pm-utils'
33 it is impossible to update the system even if you use xfce.
34
35 Only after executing the last command, which installed
36 upower-pm-utils and unistalled upower, the
37 # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --ask world
38 worked as desired.
39
40 upower was not in my world file, so I think it's a some kind of a bug.