From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from Lastpass to Bitwarden
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 16:07:32
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 06:04:01PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> Lastpass is forcing people to use only one device type or pay a fee.
6 >> I've used the free version of Lastpass for years and it works well for
7 >> me.
8 > Call me Ishmael^wold-fashioned. I don’t trust the Internet with anything
9 > sensitive. Even if the other party behaves trustworthy (trustwortily?). If
10 > it’s on someone else’s system, it’s out of my reach. A password database not
11 > only contains the passwords themselves, but naturally also what I have
12 > passwords for in the first place.
13 >
14 >> I use it on my desktop and my cell phone too.
15 > On top of that, I don’t trust Android with sensitive stuff, either. Sure, I
16 > have mail, calendar and contacts on my mobile devices (synced against a
17 > local Radicale instance on my raspberry). But nothing that involves money;
18 > No banking app, no paypal app, I don’t even have a credit card. The
19 > exception is the app for our railway system that is directly linked to my
20 > back account (but most of the times I buy the ticket at a vending machine
21 > and pay cash).
22 >
23 > So the natural answer for my password needs is keepass (by now the XC
24 > variant). I sync it between my Linux machines with all other files using
25 > unison.
26 >
27 >> Anyone have info on switching from Lastpass to Bitwarden?
28 > I’m aware this doesn’t answer your question,
29 >
30 >> Thoughts?
31 > but I wanted to make a case for another viewing angle on the matter.
35 Thing is, your stuff is likely on the internet already.  You have a bank
36 account?  If so, that bank is almost certainly connected to the
37 internet.  I don't know of a bank that isn't.  I doubt a bank can exist
38 without being connected to the internet given a lot of money transfers
39 are electronic anyway.  I'm sure any account you have, power, water or
40 any other account is connected to the internet in some way.  If you have
41 credit of any kind, they have your info on the internet already.  It's
42 how they work.  You may not put it there or access it yourself but it is
43 already there for a hacker if they want it.  You may think you are
44 protecting yourself but really, you're not.  You're just not accessing
45 it or putting it to use for your own advantage.  If someone steals my
46 info and uses it, I'll likely know quickly.  I monitor my bank, credit
47 card and credit info using the internet that way if it is stolen, I'll
48 know it sooner.  I can make use of the internet to protect myself
49 instead of refusing to use the tool and waiting on a letter that takes
50 days or even weeks to arrive, if one is ever sent.
51
52 Pretending the internet doesn't exist just isn't good.  It exists
53 whether you use it or not.  Just keep in mind, people who have info on
54 you use it and so does the ones who might want that info.  I consider
55 that a false sense of security.  You may feel secure but you are sadly
56 mistaken.  Unless you live with no digital footprint at all, likely
57 impossible, you already have info out there.
58
59 I still trust Lastpass and for those willing to pay for it, I'd
60 recommend it in a heart beat.  It's widely used and secure.  Bitwarden
61 however is as or even more secure.  It also has a better pricing
62 structure.  I can manage with the free version but will likely pay for
63 the paid plan soon.  I feel it is worth that.
64
65 Just my angle of view.  ;-)
66
67 Dale