From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 22:55:22
1 On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 21:29:46 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > Indeed, and it won't delete anything crucial for your system, and even
4 > > more, it won't delete anything what you need. But you have to tell
5 > > portage *what* you need and *what* is crucial for your system.
6 > > The handbook contains the instruction how to do this: Put the packages
7 > > you need into the @world file.
8 >
9 > I've been using Gentoo for 20 years, and this is the first time I've
10 > heard about the user being required to add the default init system
11 > (e.g. openrc) to the world file to prevent it from being
12 > "accidentally" removed by emerge --depclean.
13
14 Except that Alan has added an init system to @world, daemontools. so that
15 becomes the default init system, even if it is not the one he wants to be
16 the default.
17
18 Having added daemontools to @world, he then needs to let portage know
19 that this is not the init system he wants to use, by adding openrc to
20 @world.
21
22 In a normal situation, with only one init system installed, there is no
23 need to do anything, because the virtual takes care of making sure it is
24 not deleted. This is not a normal situation.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Do they have reserved parking for non-handicapped people at the Special
31 Olympics?