From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reproducible Installation Lists?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 12:11:00
1 On Saturday, 26 February 2022 12:07:40 GMT Ramces Tampo-og Red wrote:
2 > spareproject776 <spareproject776@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 06:47:12PM +0800, Ramces Tampo-og Red wrote:
4 > >> Hello list,
5 > >>
6 > >> I'm a sort-of newbie gentoo user and I just wanted to ask if what I'm
7 > >> thinking is possible or if I'm just being stupid. But either way, I was
8 > >> wondering if it is possible to export a list of all installed software
9 > >> in emerge and use that to recreate on another gentoo install.
10 > >>
11 > >> I have a bunch of PCs that are all similarly specced and I wanted to
12 > >> create a minimal install "template" for all of them. If not, would it be
13 > >> possible to pipe-in to emerge from stdin an output of all of the package
14 > >> names that I wanted it to emerge?
15 > >>
16 > >> I'm really sorry if this might be a stupid question. I'd appreciate any
17 > >> guidance in the matter.
18 > >>
19 > >> Cheers!
20 > >
21 > > emerge -avbk $(tr '\n' ' ' < /var/lib/portage/world)
22 > >
23 > > If your doing more than one box binhost / binpkg has a far higher return
24 > > for alot more effort upfront provided you can live with -mtune=generic.
25 >
26 > Thanks! I will check this out.
27
28 This is the page which explains how to build binary packages on one host and
29 then install them on other PCs, without having to re-complile/rebuild them
30 from source:
31
32 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide
33
34 It saves a lot of time, especially if you want to update slower machines.