From: "C.Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Help
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:31:59
1 Hi All,
2
3 After getting side-tracked by a power outage in the middle of a Gentoo
4 install a couple of weeks ago, I finally got back to doing a Gentoo
5 install trial run.
6
7 All seemed to go well. When I rebooted I got the menu with the two
8 selections listed (Gentoo and DOS). The computer will boot into DOS
9 okay, but I can't get it to boot into Gentoo. Ergo, I think the grub
10 install is fine, but I made an error in my grub.conf file.
11
12 Since I'm only moderately savvy about editing configuration files, I
13 relied on the examples in the Gentoo Handbook.
14
15 Details are as follows:
16
17 I have a dual boot system:
18
19 hda1 is DOS
20 hda2 is /boot
21 hda3 is swap
22 hda4 is my extended partition
23 hda5 is /root
24
25 The grub.conf file that I entered is as follows:
26
27 default 0
28 timeout 30
29
30 splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
31
32 title=Genoo Linux 2.6.12-r6
33
34 root (hda0, 1)
35 kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc ramdisk=8192
36 real_root=/dev/hda5 udev
37 initrd /initrd-2.6.12-gentoo-r6
38
39 title=DOS
40 root (hda0,0)
41 makeactive
42 chainloader +1
43
44 I put the initrd line in the grub.conf file even though when I ran the
45 command
46
47 'ls /boot/kernel* /boot/initrd*'
48
49 as instructed in the Handbook, I got told that there was no initrdfile.
50
51 Have I missed something or done something wrong?
52
53 Is there a way to fix the grub.conf file?
54
55 I tried selecting the Gentoo line from the menu and pressing 'e' to
56 edit, but no matter what changes I made, I still get an error message
57 when I try to boot into Gentoo that says:
58
59 Error 15: File not found
60
61 This displays immediatedly after the line
62
63 kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/ram0 init=linuxrc ramdisk=8192
64 real_root=/dev/hda5 udev
65
66 Any assistance would be appreciated. And please remember, I am not
67 stupid, but I'm not a computer science grad. I've been running Linux at
68 home for about 3 years and dabbling with it for a couple of years before
69 that, but I've always used Redhat or Fedora. However, I'm finding that
70 with each release of Fedora, more "quirks" appear. Things that I was
71 able to do with no problem in a previous release, I now can't do without
72 "letting some blood". Hence, I wanted to try Gentoo because I can
73 install the software from source using emerge. This will be a learning
74 curve for me, but I can conquer it - I have come a long way since a
75 friend first mentioned Linux to me and I asked what it was!
76
77 Anyway, the point of the previous paragraph is to ask that complete
78 details be stated for any help that is provided. And if you tell me
79 that I "screwed up royally" and have to start all over, that's okay.
80 That's what this exercise was for - to learn what I needed to know
81 before installing Gentoo on a "production" system.
82
83 BTW, I did a "Stage 3" install. Since it was my first time and I don't
84 know anything about optimizations, I didn't want to get in over my
85 head. :-)
86
87 Thanks in advance for any assistance.
88
89 Respectfully,
90
91 Colleen