From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Time to move on?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 20:55:08
1 On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 13:23 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Personally I think we're in one of those
3 > unfortunate periods of time where there is a relatively high number of
4 > issues. I'm seeing it on all my machines. It's taking far more of my
5 > time to deal with this than I wish it would.
6 >
7 > 1) ntp-update problems at boot time.
8
9 Hmm, I'm not having any ntp-update problems on my machines. Have you
10 submitted a bug report or searched the bug database? Obviously this
11 isn't happening for everyone so if the right people don't know about it
12 then you can't expect it to get fixed.
13
14 > 2) emerge -DuN world building lots of packages that are already on the
15 > system but the LoG has apparently changed flags so emerge wants to
16 > rebuild them.
17
18 But that's what -N does! That's what it's documented to do. RTFM. If you
19 don't want that behavior then don't use -N. Either use --reinstall
20 changed-use or don't use any USE-specific flags. Personally I just let
21 portage re-install as it doesn't really change anything if you haven't
22 changed your use flags.
23
24 > 3) New and unclear (to me) messages about portage flag overrides
25 > caused by overlays I've been using for a while.
26
27 These are probably warnings about overlays overriding settings in the
28 regular portage profile. Some overlays do this. It's just a fact of
29 life. Again, if you don't want to deal with it then don't use overlays
30 or at least choose overlays that don't do potentially bad things. It's
31 not the Gentoo devs responsibility if you bring in 3rd-party overlays
32 that change stuff.
33
34 So with the possible exception of #1, these appear to be "but it hurts
35 when I do that" problems, not issues with Gentoo stability.