From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [Very OT] - Kill-A-Watt (240V Version) to measure my Gentoo Server Power Usage
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 18:35:04
1 Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng <at> wdc.com> writes:
5 > I know this is VERY OT. I have a Gentoo Server running at Home
6 24/7 and
7 > there's a possiblity that it's really eating up my energy bill.
8
9 > I've seen the Kill-A-Watt
10 > http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7657/ but it's a 120V US
11 > Version.
12
13 > I'm looking for a 240V Version. Would anyone here know where to
14 get one?
15
16 > The Server is an old DELL PowerEdge 4300 w/ 2x350Mhz Procs and
17 1GB Mem
20 240 VAC in the US is (2) 120 VAC hots on separate wires with a
21 ground and neutral, if wired to code. If not, or the wiring is
22 very old, the neutral and ground might be tied together.
23
24 If you have an electrician, or are reasonably knowledgable with
25 electricity, then you can split off one of the "hot legs" run
26 it thru your 120VAC power meter an see how much juice (energy)
27 you are using. Most 240V power supplies run balanced
28 (appproximately the same amount of electricity in each "hot leg".
29 If you are curious, rewire your temporary system so that you can
30 move the power meter to the other leg and see what the comsumption
31 is. Each of the two hot-legs should be equal and 1/2 the power
32 consumption.
35 Another, better solution is to purchase a clamp/amp meter so you
36 can merely put it around the power cord and make all sorts of power
37 measurements. Very handy tool. If you do not have the money for
38 one, then go to home depot and purchase one on a credit card, use
39 it to test and return it in a few days.
40
41 The simplist solution is NOBODY puts a 240 VAC power supply
42 into a computer unless it's going to draw some serious current
43 (amps) thus by the nature of it being 240 VAC, you already know
44 it is a power hog.
45
46 Some power supplies are 120V/240V selecatable, but switching
47 from 240V to 120V may result in more energy consumption....
48 If it was designed to host a bunch of hard drives and you are
49 only using a few, you may be able to change the power supply
50 to drop the energy consumption.
51
52 However with the low cost of the AMD turion series of processors,
53 you may be better off just purchasing a new low power
54 (less than 25 watts) mobo which will pay for its self in
55 energy savings in a year or so. Big power supplies also throw off
56 lots of heat, so if you live somewhere hot, it's a double wammie.....
57
58 hth,
59
60 James