From: "Nelson
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] net.eth0 device initiated services
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 11:27:45
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby
3 > [mailto:mihamina.rakotomandimby@××××××××××××××××.fr]
4 > Sent: 03 January 2007 10:04
5 > To: Gentoo mailing list
6 > Subject: [gentoo-user] net.eth0 device initiated services
9 > Hi,
10 > I have /etc/init.d/net.eth0.
11 > I dont want it to be launch at boot, but I dont want to
12 > delete it either
13 > because it eases some things when I want to bring eth0 up.
14 >
15 > My problem is although i "del" it from the boot process with
16 > rc-update,
17 > net.eth0 is attempted to be brought up by some other tool.
18 >
19 > When no cable is plugged, it slows as hell the boot process.
20 >
21 > The message is "device initiated services: net.eth0".
22 > Then bringing up attempt comes.
23 > who the hell is trying to bring it up?
24 >
25 > The answer is here:
26 > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2520311
27 >
28 > /etc/conf.d/rc
29 >
30 > - RC_PLUG_SERVICES=""
31 > + RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*"
32 >
33 > --
34 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
38 I tend to set the eth0 dhcpcd timeout at ~5 seconds. The DHCP server I
39 usually use (the gentoo based server under my desk!) always responds
40 within 5 seconds. When I'm out and about and using/"borrowing" a
41 wireless connection it means that it only slows the boot process by 5
42 seconds and doesnt require me to manually enable or disable eth0.
43
44 David
45
46 Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of
47 success. I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this
48 list.
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list