From: Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:10:18
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 19:20, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:26:40 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote about Re:
3 > [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:01:24 +0100
6 >> David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > [snip]
8 >> > With the pending changes to udev scripts, you could well need /var
9 >> > -- and anything else -- before udev starts.  So it is in the same
10 >> > category as /usr.
11 >>
12 >> Maybe, maybe not.
13 >>
14 >> However, no-one apart from you is even suggesting such a thing. For my
15 >> part I'm going to ignore that possibility and concentrate on those
16 >> things that are being seriously suggested.
17 >
18 > The Gentoo developers have been discussing just that.  The reason is
19 > that many of the daemons that can be started by udev scripts require
20 > work files on /var, so we could well need /var mounted too.
21
22 But wait, that's what having /var/run being a link to /run was all
23 about. This problem is supposed to be *solved* already, damnit
24 --
25 Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@×××××.com)
26 Twitter: @hunleyd                                               Web:
27 douglasjhunley.com