From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIG reiserfs problem
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:39:35
1 On Monday 30 October 2006 12:04, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On 28 October 2006 23:39, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 28 October 2006 16:41, b.n. wrote:
4 > > > Dale ha scritto:
5 > > > > If you use XFS, make sure you have good power. XFS does not
6 > > > > like power failures at all. I have had to reinstall on a
7 > > > > second rig because of this very problem. If you have a UPS,
8 > > > > that may be OK.
9 > > >
10 > > > Thanks a lot for the advice. Power outages do happen and I don't
11 > > > have an UPS. Why does it happen? Isn't XFS journaled?
12 > >
13 > > Yes it is journaled but it also allows data to be very aggressively
14 > > cached. Make that VERY aggressively cached. With the result that
15 > > data can be held in a huge cache somewhere and the kernel can be
16 > > convinced it has been written to disk.
17 >
18 > No journaled filesystem can 100% prevent data loss or even filesystem
19 > corruption in cases of power outages. Think of the the builtin caches
20 > of your drive. If that builtin cache contains a changed journal (not
21 > written to the actual drive yet) when a power failure occurs => bang!
22
23 All the more reason to take the intended usage of XFS seriously - in
24 environments where power loss to the machine simply do not happen
25 (redundant psus, UPS backup, etc)
26
27 alan
28 --