From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I power disk off?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 19:47:22
1 On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> In my server I have a few disks which must be running 24/7,
7 >> but I also have a single big hard-drive, which is used only
8 >> for a few minutes every day, just for backups. How could I
9 >> power disk off when not needed (and "on" again when needed)
10 >> in order to save a little power and prolong its life?
11 >
12 > Use hdparm to set the power-saving level. Also look into general
13 > power-saving tips for linux laptop users which may help reduce
14 > unnecessary accesses to that drive. Maybe even use laptop-mode-tools.
17 Paul,
18 Would hdparm be advisable if the drive was part of a RAID? I suspect not.
19
20 I don't think this applies to the OP but for the sake of discussion
21 why not include RAID as part of the solution, if possible.
22
23 - Mark