From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A new AMD CPU weakness?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 04:34:54
1 On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 12:32 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> 180313 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
7 >> > https://v.gd/PZkiuR
8 >> > Does anyone know more details?
9 >>
10 >> See LWN. It is being described as a scam by people shorting AMD stock.
13 > Dan Guido / Trail of Bits was paid to review the exploits and has
14 > confirmed they work. I don't think he'd burn his reputation on this.
15 >
16 > The language around AMD shares being worth $0 is clearly absurd and that
17 > source should be ignored.
20 From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/13/amd_flaws_analysis/?page=2
21
22 Jake Williams, founder and president of Rendition Infosec, commented on the
23 above quoted disclaimer via Twitter
24 <https://twitter.com/MalwareJake/status/973608157208461312>, saying, "I'm
25 pretty well convinced that this is designed to manipulate stock prices.
26 That doesn't make the vulnerabilities fake or any less dangerous (though
27 you need admin access to exploit most)."
28
29 Arrigo Triulzi, a security consultant based in Switzerland, described
30 <https://twitter.com/cynicalsecurity/status/973591954096381952> the paper
31 as "over-hyped beyond belief" and added, "This is a whitepaper worthy of an
32 ICO [cryptocurrency initial coin offering]. And yes, that is meant to be an
33 insult."
34
35 Google security researcher Tavis Ormandy, responding to Triulzi wrote
36 <https://twitter.com/taviso/status/973622044200919040>, "Nothing in this
37 paper matters until the attacker has already won so hard it's game over.
38 Not something I'm too interested in, but maybe DFIR [Digital Forensics and
39 Incident Response] people are?"
40
41 Ormandy is referring to the fact that exploiting these supposed flaws
42 require local administrative access, making them significantly less
43 dangerous than vulnerabilities that can be exploited by a remote,
44 unprivileged user.