From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Emergeing Firefox 35.0 breaks Ghostery ... fixable?
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 01:28:28
1 On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 06:53:55 +0100
2 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3
4 > emergeing Firefox 35.0 runs without problems...but:
5 > The plugin Ghostery (blocks tracker) fails to start
6 > and a reinstallations ends with this error message
7 > (popup):
8 >
9 > "Ghostery cannot be installed because Firefox cannot
10 > modify the needed file."
11 >
12 > Is this a proble of the plugin, a wrong permissions
13 > setting via emerge/ebuild or a problem of my Gentoo
14 > box?
15
16 It's not just you, and it's not just that extension. I don't know the
17 cause, but many of my extensions stopped working, including Adblock
18 Plus. (I noticed the problem because I was seeing ads, then I noticed
19 there was no ABP icon available any more.) Judging from the fairly
20 cryptic console output, Firefox's add-on registration system can't read
21 (or maybe just can't modify) a lot of the files it needs to.
22
23 > How can I fix it -- a downgrade to the previous version
24 > (34.0.5-r1) is not possible, since one had decided to
25 > remove that version from the ebuilds ???
26
27 I reinstalled 34.0.5-r1 from a tarball, and everything works again for
28 me. I know that doesn't help you, but I mention it because it seems to
29 indicate that running Fx 35 didn't actually damage my profile.
30
31 I'll try upgrading again in a few days, then file a bug if still no
32 joy.