From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: thunar won't build?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:13:43
1 On Friday 16 February 2007, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Friday 16 February 2007 09:37:00 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > There's an upside as well though. If many people keep reporting the
4 > > same bug in different ways, it tells themaintainer that the bug is
5 > > higher priority. If a bug is reported only once, and everyone else
6 > > that runs into it sees this bug report, and doesn't report their
7 > > experience, then the maintainer doesn't know about these users. So
8 > > he/she might consider the bug to be less important, and that would
9 > > be wrong.
10 >
11 > I strongly disagree with this (or at least how this sounds to me).
12 > Dupes are a necessary evil because we can't all be perfect at
13 > searching bugzilla but considering them to be good just doesn't make
14 > sense in my head.
15
16 Perhaps I should elaborate a little, my first post didn't make the
17 entire thing clear.
18
19 I'm not saying dupes are good, I'm saying that dupes are a fact of life
20 and users enter them. They are annoying to be sure, but we can make a
21 choice:
22
23 a. discard them out of hand and get all upset, or
24 b. note them, be aware that more than one user ran into the bug, see if
25 there's useful info in the dupe report, mark it as a dupe and get back
26 to work.
27
28 These take up about the same amount of time and a) is completely
29 negative while b) first extracts any information that is to be had.
30 Personally, I prefer b) as it's a nicer attitude.
31
32 > Everytime the subject of making it possible to vote on bugs has come
33 > up the counter argument has been that the list of CC'ed people
34 > already serves that role just as well but without giving the false
35 > impression that enough votes will get it fixed.
36 >
37 > If you want to make it known that you care about any given bug just
38 > CC yourself on the bug. I want to make it very clear that
39 > purposefully filing dupes to draw attention to an annoying bug is
40 > *only* wasting bug wranglers (yep, not the maintainers (and yep, that
41 > means jakubs) ;) time just like producing "I confirm this is a bug"
42 > comments as the 10th user after it's been acknowledged is only
43 > useless bugspam... (I'm sure you didn't mean to do that either but
44 > still..).
45
46 The first "Me too!" probably happened when the second user switched on
47 the first computer and spoke to the first user. They happen, and when
48 users out there in the wild go to bgo and find a bug report relevant to
49 them, they are gonna find a way to enter a Me Too!
50
51 Why? Because they went to bgo to find information, found it, and now
52 they want to communicate. The user doesn't have a clue what's going on
53 around the dev or any other user, he only sees his own bug and sees
54 that there are nice people at gentoo.org who will help him out, and
55 that there are other people just like him. And he will communicate
56 that. It's all perfectly natural and quite unstoppable.
57
58 If this causes the devs to be buried alive under sheer quantities of
59 data, then it's time to change the process, without making it
60 impossible for users to communicate that they too ran into a certain
61 bug
62
63 > What will get any given bug fixed is for someone (who doesn't have to
64 > be dev) to sit down and figure out a solution (and attach it on the
65 > bug)... An unlimited number of users saying it's a problem doesn't
66 > help at all if there's still noone able to fix it..
67
68 Very true
69
70 > > Good maintainers consider users to be like customers and sometimes
71 > > they do get annoyed with many dup bugs.
72 >
73 > Can't really agree with this. They aren't paid so most of the best
74 > devs do it solely for their own sake (and because they find it
75 > interesting). Also good maintainers fix bugs even if only one user
76 > experience it if it's a bug and they are able to fix it. Quality >
77 > quantity.
78
79 The comparison is that customers are important and worth listening to.
80
81 One amazing thing about www.gentoo.org is that over and over again I see
82 statements like "we should do X because the users want it" or "Y is
83 causing problems for users". I can't ever remember seeing a dev say
84 things like "We should do Z because I want Z".
85
86 That's really cool, I take it to mean that the dude maintaining an arb
87 ebuild does it partly to help make *my* life easier, and he thinks I am
88 important to him - just like paying customers are important to
89 businesses
90
91 alan
95 Optimists say the glass is half full,
96 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
97 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
98
99 Alan McKinnon
100 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
101 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
102 --
103 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list