From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using package.provided
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 10:33:07
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 03:39:22 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> Mine here is in: /etc/portage/package.mask It's been there for a
5 >>>> long time. Maybe they are moving things again to something new but
6 >>>> it works here.
7 >>> Things that override global settings in make.conf, like package.mask,
8 >>> go in /etc/portage. Things that override profile settings go
9 >>> in /etc/portage/profile.
10 >>>
11 >>> If in doubt, read man portage which explains all these files.
12 >> All I know, it works here. What the OP is wanting to do is no different
13 >> than what I am doing here except that it is a different package. So, if
14 >> it works here, it should work there too. I might add, I don't even have
15 >> the profile directory at all.
16 > But then you don't use package.provided. If you did, it wouldn't work
17 > unless it was in /etc/portage/profile.
21 Although the OP asked about package.provided, it isn't what he needs to
22 use. As you pointed out in another reply, he needs package.mask and it
23 goes in /etc/portage/. It doesn't really matter if the OP has a profile
24 directory or not since he doesn't need to use that in this case. He
25 just needs to use package.mask and add the correct info there. After
26 that, the OP is done.
27
28 Dale
29