From: Danilo Marcelo <danilo.marcelo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xine - no sound on DVDs - solved (sort of)
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:26:17
1 Hi,
2
3 in tip # 2, i'd like to say to remove the drivers, like modprobe -r
4 <driver>, not phisically.
5 Did you ever try OSS or another sound server?
6
7 2007/9/20, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>:
8 >
9 > On 9/20/07, Danilo Marcelo <danilo.marcelo@×××××.com> wrote:
10 > > I was reading your first message again and now i understood your real
11 > > problem.
12 > > Some tips:
13 > >
14 > > 1) Change your player to test;
15 >
16 > Again, I have tested audio with Aqualung & mplayer on the desktop and
17 > Flash in Firefox. They work correctly and go to the internal sound
18 > chip. I've tested DVD with gmplayer. DVD's play fine and the audio
19 > goes to the internal sound chip. I've tested DVDs and CDs with xine.
20 > In both cases xine sends it to the external USB sound card.
21 >
22 > > 2) Remove your internal sound card
23 >
24 > I cannot. It's a chip on the motherboard. On the other hand it might
25 > be interesting, at least for test purposes, to disconnect the external
26 > USB device and restart Alsa. Possibly xine will go internal in that
27 > case.
28 >
29 > > 3) Test alsaconf again
30 >
31 > Yeah, been down that road. I've been working with Alsa for almost 8
32 > years now. Unless there is something very subtle going on here my Alsa
33 > config is very generic & does specify which sound device is associated
34 > with which sound card number. And again, every other audio application
35 > works fine, and xine worked fine until maybe two weeks ago.
36 > Unfortunately my wife doesn't inform me at the first instant things
37 > stop working so there's no good way at this point to know what update
38 > broke it, or whether the update was xine itself, Alsa, or something
39 > else.
40 >
41 > All that said I'll run alsaconf and see what it would do although IIRC
42 > it doesn't actually set up dual sound cards. You have (or had) to do
43 > that by hand.
46 > > I'm doing my best to help you.
47 > > Good luck!
48 >
49 > And I do appreciate it! I'll post back about the no-USB experiment
50 > later this morning if I get a chance to run it.
51 >
52 > Cheers,
53 > Mark
54 > --