From: Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] updatedb/locate - reasons to use
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:16:40
1 G'day
2
3 On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Andrew Gaydenko <a@××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > Hi!
7 > >
8 > > Are there (emerge/revdep-rebuild/other portage tools related) situations
9 > > when fs db creating is useful?
12 > > Andrew
16 > I believe there are. I used to use slocate when I had tens of
17 > thousands of mp3s and other media files. Its a lot of times its faster
18 > to use slocate or locate than a find to find a certain file.
21 I believe the OP's intentions are to determine if slocate would have any
22 benefit specifically for portage related utilities.
23
24 And with that, there would not be any benefit to the average user IMHO, as
25 slocate is updated usually nightly ( when installed ) and as such if the
26 utilities were using the results obtained from that utility, it might apply
27 changes which would be detrimental to the system, assuming changes have been
28 made to portage or installed apps since the updatedb run.
32 Beau "Did It!" Henderson