From: Chris Boot <bootc@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SMP/HT & top
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:56:38
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 > Was I mistaken in thinking that a true SMP system and also a hyper
5 >threading system would show two processors in top? I am trying out a
6 >new HT kernel built this morning. I've enabled both SMP support and
7 >hyper threading support but top shows only a single processor.
8 >
9 > This is not a 'problem'. More a curiosity.
10 >
11 >1) Do SMP systems show two or more processors with top?
14 Yes. You may need to press '1' once you have started top to show each
15 processor individually. See the top manpage to see how you can set this
16 as the default. Also note you have to be using an SMP kernel for your
17 extra CPUs to be used at all, let alone seen by top...
18
19 >2) If not top then what else?
20 >3) Should a HT system show multiple processors?
24 Yes, same as the above.
25
26 >Thanks,
27 >Mark