From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo, new computer, still a bit confused
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 12:32:19
1 You've had some very good advice from Mike + Mick,
2 but you can have a bit more re-assurance from me.
3
4 You shouldn't have a warranty problem if you keep Windows 7 installed.
5 For that, you can easily install Gentoo alongside it.
6 I did that with my Asus netbook, which came with XP :
7 I got XP to tell me how much disk space it was using,
8 then used Systemrescue to shrink the partition to about twice that much
9 -- to be safe & allow for some personal files or programs,
10 if I ever used Windows for anything -- ,
11 then installed Gentoo on the remainder (most) of the disk.
12 I used Lilo to dual-boot & XP still works.
13 There was an extra Windows partition which I wiped out,
14 but that didn't affect the ordinary booting of XP.
15
16 Linux is far better than Losedows & Gentoo the best distro
17 provided you're prepared to put in a bit of time maintaining it.
18
19 HTH
23 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
24 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
25 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca