From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Searching for a solution to a logical problem...
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 11:19:49
1 Albert W. Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> [11-11-06 12:08]:
2 > On Sun, 2011-11-06 at 07:45 +0100, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > The problem for which I am looking for a workaround is not based on
6 > > a bug -- it is a logical problem.
7 > >
8 > > I am using session manager like KDE/Gnome/XFCE and others but openbox
9 > > as a window manager.
10 > >
11 > > The mapping of keystrokes to certain funtionalities is a common
12 > > feature or most applications nowadays.
13 > >
14 > > And with this keymappings there come the conflicting of keymappings
15 > > into existence...
16 > >
17 > > With openbox I have mapped Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-right to next-desktop
18 > > and previous-desktop.
19 > > When starting blender, which is a great keymapper also, I know have
20 > > "lost" the keymapping which is mapped to Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-right,
21 > > since openbox catches this one and blender does not get a glimpse of
22 > > it.
23 > >
24 > > The remapping of "lost keymaps" not always helps, since often used
25 > > functions are mapped to key combos, which can be reached easily. Those
26 > > are used often and therefore overlap often.
27 > >
28 > > Remapping to avoid conflicts then led to situations where a simple
29 > > "del-char" of an editor is mapped to something awful like
30 > > <Left-Ctrl-ALT-6> (exaggerated...;)
31 > >
32 > > Since there is one rule in the internet: "You are not the first person
33 > > haveing a certain problem..." I dare to ask :) .....
34 > >
35 > > Is there any way to ease this situation?
36 > >
37 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help! Have nice sunday!
38 > > Best regards,
39 > > mcc
40 >
41 > What a immensely long way to ask a simple question!
42 >
43 > Here's the simple (and brief answer):
44 >
45 > You can't have an app and window manager use the same keybindings.
46 > AFAIK the window manager will always win. Best solution is to change
47 > the bindings of one or the other.
48 >
49 > Personally, I'd cjamge. (CTRL-Left/Right) is simply too "simple" of a
50 > keybinding to have grabbed at the window manager level. I actually use
51 > CTRL-ALT-Up/Down to switch (vertical) workspaces. I believe
52 > CTRL-ALT-Arrow_keys is the default on most window managers because it's
53 > "sane", which the openbox setting is not.
57 The question was not that simple as this answer implies and which
58 convice me again and again to send postings which explain in detail
59 what I really mean.