From: cal <cal@×××××××××.technology>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --depclean
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 18:04:57
1 On 5/7/21 6:57 PM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I'm trying to clean up packages on a remote computer and running emerge --depclean list some packages that I am not sure about:
3 >
4 >[snip]
5 >
6 > Many of these packages are I see on my other systems and I think they are needed like:
7 > acct-group/video
8 > dev-libs/jansson
9 > dev-perl/Switch
10 > x11-libs/libvdpau
13 You mentioned this is a remote machine. Is it running X or not? If
14 it's a headless, machine, it doesn't seem unreasonable that emerge would
15 be removing unused X11 dependencies.
16
17 In any case, you could use the `equery depends` tool to determine what,
18 on your other machines, is depending on these packages, and use that
19 information to determine whether you accidentally removed something you
20 intended to install on this machine.
21
22 --depclean will only remove dependencies that are not required by
23 packages in your @world or selected profile. Removing these packages is
24 probably not going to break anything; you can always reinstall them
25 later if you need them.
26
27 cal