From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my hard drive sick?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:44:41
1 Dan Farrell ha scritto:
2 > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:25:06 +0100
3 > "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > it is; however if the partition is live the data could be messed up if
5 > you read half of an overwritten file or something. in other words, it
6 > works really well on partitions that aren't live, and if the partition
7 > is live, you could potentially have a bad file. You might even
8 > potentially have a bad partition. This all is from my own
9 > consideration; I wouldn't bet the house on it.
10
11 Well, dd-ing live partitions was out of the question -however thanks for
12 the reminder :)
13
14 But I was thinking: if my old drive is 200 Gb and my new drive is 320
15 Gb, what happens to the partition table? That is, the old partition
16 table will refer to a 200 Gb disk, on a 320 Gb disk. What happens to the
17 120 Gb left? Are they recognized as an empty partition? Are they left
18 unrecognized?
19
20 Maybe I should just dd the MBR and then repartition the disk and use cp
21 for the rest.
22
23 m.
24 --