From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: /dev/hdb performance really sucks ...
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:19:49
1 Richard Watson <waty <at> bigpond.net.au> writes:
4 > Hi - I'm getting vastly different performance results on hda (master) as
5 > opposed to hdb (slave).
6 > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
7
8 I'd make sure you read the man page on hdparm. Certain actions can kill hardware,
9 permanently.
10
11 That said, what I do is set the hdparms in /etc/conf.d/hdparm. I believe you
12 can test each drive, note the best (safe) parameters to adjust. Test the
13 adjustments, and then make an entry, per hard drive in the
14 /etc/conf.d/hdparm. Here's what works for me on one system:
15
16 all_args="-d1"
17 hda_args="-d1 -u1 -c1 -a256"
20 Remember, any device that is seen as a /dev/hd* will be affected by
21 settings like [all_args="-d1"]......
22
23 If get lesser performance when (2) different drives are on the same
24 (ide/ata/eide) controller, then try a second pci cotroller card.
25 or if both are on the same cable, and the MB or controller has a
26 second port, add a second cable and move one drive to the other
27 port/cable. This sort of performance degradation should effect both drives.
28
29 HTH
30
31 James