From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Profile listings
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 19:47:19
1 Martin Vaeth <martin <at> mvath.de> writes:
4 > James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > # PORTAGE_PROFILE=/usr/portage/profiles/arch/arm/armv7a eix -c --system
7 > > No matches found.
8 >
9 > Obviously, this profile contains no <at> system packages.
10 > Which appears natural for an embedded profile...
11
12 Obviously, one cannot obtain the profiles to other arches from the
13 data found in /usr/portage/profile, easily. Surely a front-end would be keen
14 for this.
15
16 Also, I had a friend on an embedded gentoo (arm) board verify that the same
17 42 files for @system was installed on his arm board (eix -e --system).
20 I surely hope that something (gui tool) convenient and robust becomes
21 available; maybe GLEP64 will help.
22
23 For embedded (any arch) I would expect that the @system would not contain
24 all the files necessary to compile code. After all, that's really what
25 cross-compiling is all about. I'm not sure a single packages, such as
26 busybox really contains the best/complete codes that is needed on an
27 embedded gentoo system, but that is a different issue.
30 I also think there is room for another profile, between default and embedded
31 where the target is a single (or focused) build for something like a
32 sniffer, a data collector, a firewall, a bridge, a router, etc etc
33 to have less than the "default" profile and specifically matched to
34 a tuned (aggressively pruned) kernel for a very specific and limited
35 purpose. That said, I'm going to think about this a bit more and marinate
36 over the postings from Andreas and others for a while longer to decide what
37 I think it should really be.
40 I also think there should be a well defined path of what and how to migrate
41 from embedded to minimized[focused] and default systems. One could
42 experiment for example experiment with running a gentoo based
43 firewall-router on an embedded gentoo system, a minimized[focused] gentoo
44 system and a default profile gentoo system all with the same
45 firewall-routers codes for cost and security and performance evaluations.
49 Thanks to all for the excellent information and input! Sorry about being
50 dense, as now Andreas's posts make more sense, but also highlight the
51 shortness of breadth of gentoo's current profile system. It's also a
52 "pig mess" of code, ideas and old constructs, imho. (note: nothing negative
53 about the wonderful folks that have maintained and extended profiles over
54 the years, but, it is time for a discussion and new architecture for the
55 entire profile landscape, imho. Maybe after Glep 64 is usable it would be
56 a good time to move forward on profile_modernizations......
59 Others comments are welcome.
62 James