From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:36:29
1 On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 1:57 AM, Fernando Rodriguez
2 <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 > On Linux now there's the Magic SysRq Key feature for that. If enabled (I think
6 > it is by default, may be wrong) you can use ctrl-alt-sysrq plus one these keys
7 > even if your kernel panics or freezes in most cases (ctrl may only be needed
8 > from xorg):
9 >
10 > r - to get the keyboard back so you can switch to VT if xorg freezes
11 > e - to terminate all processes gracefully (SIGTERM) except pid 1
12 > i - to terminate all processes forcefully (SIGKILL) except pid 1
13 > s - to sync all filesystems
14 > u - to unmount them and remount readonly
15 > b - to reboot
16
17 You have to set "MAGIC_SYSRQ" to "y" for it to be enabled.
18
19 You can set the "capabilities" of sysrq either via
20 'MAGIC_SYSRQ_DEFAULT_ENABLE" or via sysctl. Debian uses the former (to
21 set it to 438) and Ubuntu and Fedora use the latter (to set it to 176
22 and 16 respectively). "16" is systemd upstream's default whereby you
23 can only sync filesystems. It's the kind of value that can be the
24 source of a lot of arguing...
27 > Easy to remember as "Reboot Even If System Utterly Broken"
28
29 I remember it as the reverse of "busier".