From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] irqbalance
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 23:52:43
1 On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 10:35 PM William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
2 wrote:
3
4 > In going down the NUMA rabbit hole, I discovered "irqbalance". Does
5 > anyone have an opinion on its usefulness? It is in portage.
6 >
7 > On some multicore arm systems I am using irq affiity to steer certain
8 > irq's to faster CPU's (network, usb) - but from what I have been reading,
9 > irqbalance can improve a mixed workload but a system with a small number of
10 > busy irq's is better served by separating and locking them to different,
11 > more powerful processors. e.g., arm big.LITTLE architectures.
12 >
13 IIRC MSIs have largely addressed the issue, so irqbalance is not so useful
14 anymore. Eg, /proc/interrupts on this system shows that the nvme drive gets
15 32 interrupts, and the intel gig eth card gets eight interrupts per port,
16 so there's no busy interrupts