From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommendation on how to format my new drive
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:13:30
1 On Wednesday 22 November 2006 22:28, Eric Bohn wrote:
2 > Absolute minimum:
3 >
4 > 1. Windows: Type=NTFS Size=10GB + however much more space you want for
5 > Windows. 2. Linux Swap: Type=swap Size=ram size
6 > 3. Gentoo: Type=ext3 Size=10GB + however much space you want for Linux.
7 >
8 > Recommended:
9 >
10 > 1. Windows: Type=NTFS Size=10GB
11 > 2. Linux Swap: Type=swap Size=ram size
12 > 3. Linux Boot: Type=ext2 Size=128MB mountpoint: "/boot"
13 > 4. Gentoo: Type=ext3 Size=10GB mountpoint: "/"
14 > 5. Shared: Type=fat32 Size=Rest of drive mountpoint="/mnt/shared"
15 >
16 > The boot partition is separate for security reasons. You'll need to set up
17 > your boot loader to load the kernel from /boot, and set up fstab to not
18 > mount the /boot partition by default. The shared partition is probably
19 > where you will want to install most of your Windows programs, media files,
20 > and anything you want to be able to share between OS's.
21
22 some problems with your layout:
23
24 128mb for /boot is way to much. vmlinuz is ca 1.5MB big. The rest of the stuff
25 is maybne another 1.5MB. So 3MB per installed kernel. How many kernels do you
26 want to install? 40?
27
28 10gb for everything is not enough. /var alone needs several gb. /usr/portage
29 needs several gb, he certainly want to save some stuff. My portage&var
30 partition has a size of 20GB - and 11GB are used (partly, because I don't
31 remove distfiles...). If he ever wants to install anything that needs lots of
32 temp space, he will hit a wall - hard.
33
34 It is not save nor smart not to have a /home partition, for several reasons.
35 Security, save from filling up / accidentally, and ease of switching between
36 different distributions.
37
38 A big 'shared' partition - why? Is there anything needed in linux, that has to
39 be in windows too? And even if the answer is yes, 10GB should be enough.
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list