From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Usign ansible
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 08:26:32
1 On 17/01/2015 23:29, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > On 12.01.2015 17:46, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> You'd have to define it yourself in your plays somewhere
5 >>
6 >> Several ways present themselves:
7 >>
8 >> - Group customers together by customer name and use the group name.
9 >>
10 >> - Define the customer directly in the inventory. Generally it isn't
11 >> recommended to define variable there, but I think this is one of the few
12 >> case where it does make sense. Sort of like this:
13 >>
14 >> acme_web_server ansible_ssh_host=1.2.3.4 customer=acme
15 >>
16 >> {{ customer }} then is available for that host whenever the host is in scope
20 >> One thing you'll find with ansible is there's always a way to do
21 >> something, often more than one way (like perl). And all ways often make
22 >> sense (unlike perl)
23 >
24 > sorry for the delay ... busy week
25 >
26 > I still haven't wrapped my head around how to properly define my groups
27 > and sets of hosts.. but I am on my way, thanks ;-)
28 >
29 > "learning" ... when it is better to have a group or a when-clause (when
30 > OS = Gentoo) ...
31
32 My advice:
33
34 Start with groups. If you find you need to have lots of "when" clauses
35 to make the plays work across more than one distro, and the whens follow
36 the same format, then you might want to split them into groups.
37 Make for example a "gentoo-www" group and a "debian-www" group, and
38 create a super-group "www" that includes both.
39
40 It's one of those questions you can only really answer once you've built
41 it for yourself and can see what works better in your environment
44 > Reading/rsyncing all the configs in isn't first priority now. Although
45 > it already is nice-to-have as a server stopped to work this week.
46 >
47 > OK, backups on tape etc ... but I like that basic "profile" with /etc
48 > and @world as well.
49 >
50 > -
51 >
52 > I hesitate to mention it as everything with the term "systemd" in it
53 > seems to trigger not-directly-helpful replies here ... but I see issues
54 > with playbooks/tasks controlling services on hosts running systemd:
55 >
56 > I have openrc and systemd installed/merged (installed with openrc, then
57 > migrated to run systemd and openrc still there, but not active ... not
58 > removing openrc just to keep it as some fallback) ... and when I try to
59 > control services via the service-module of ansible I don't always get
60 > valid results. It seems that the module detects openrc installed and
61 > doesn't check further (is openrc *active* as well?) ... so I get
62 > misleading replies/states in.
63 >
64 > IMO ansible should correctly detect the running PID1 .. and it tries to
65 > as far as I understand the code of the service-module.
66 >
67 > For example I tried to write a task to ensure that ntpd is down/disabled
68 > and chrony is installed/enabled/started ... no real success so far.
69
70 If ansible confuses installed init systems with running init system,
71 then that will be a bug in ansible and should be reported
74 > I will provide more info if needed ... saturday night now, so excuse me
75 > stopping here ;-)
76
77 :-)
83 Alan McKinnon