From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption?
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 11:56:55
1 On 16/09/19 08:50, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 >> > I was under the impression that the ESP had to be a FAT partition. The
3 >> > small unpartitioned space is for when you are using a GPT
4 >> > partition table with a non-EFI bootloader. Well, it's really unformatted,
5 >> > it is a partition.
6
7 > Ah. I didn't appreciate that. Looks like I misinterpreted the wiki page (and I
8 > used to be able to read quite well, too.)
9 >
10 Umm no ...
11
12 aiui, Macs don't have FAT partitions, but they still use EFI.
13
14 I had this discussion with someone who knew what they were talking
15 about, and the spec says that FAT is the "least common denominator" -
16 all EFI bootloaders must understand FAT. They can understand more, so if
17 a loader understands ext4 you could use that, but you know for certain
18 that if you use (a certain version of) FAT32, then things will work.
19
20 Macs understand HFS or whatever it is they use, so they don't need FAT.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol