From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo update
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 08:20:45
1 On Sunday 03 June 2007, Benjamin Graf wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I would like to know if there is a danger if I use a program during
4 > its updating (when I run emerge -uD world for example).
5
6 For the most part, no danger.
7
8 A running program will have certain files open and accesses them through
9 it's inode on-disk, not the file name. When the file is replaced during
10 an update, you get a whole new file with a different inode, and the
11 original is only replaced when the last program using it closes the
12 file.
13
14 Occasionally (very) it does go wrong, then you simply restart the
15 program. You are highly unlikely to break anything.
16
17 alan
21 Optimists say the glass is half full,
22 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
23 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
24
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
27 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list