From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] User can mount/umount but not write to top the new drive
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:20:20
1 On 9 April 2012, at 20:59, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > …
3 > In the past I've gotten around this by having root mount the drive
4 > and then change ownership to mark:users once it's mounted. Linux
5 > remembers I've done that once and no longer requires me to do anything
6 > else as root.
7 >
8 > Is that truly required or is there a way to give the user access to
9 > the top of the new mount point without roots' involvement?
12 I recall having exactly this problem years ago, and having had it explained to me here on this list.
13
14 I'm sure that if you *once* chmod / chown as root, then the permissions will be remembered correctly forever after. If you unmount and remount the drive, reboot the computer or whatever, the user will be able to write to the drive.
15
16 Do double & triple check this because, although I'm certainly fallible, I feel certain of this.
17
18 If I'm mistaken I guess you could do something involving udev mounting rules.
19
20 Note that if you use the same USB drive on different computers (or dual-boot different distros) then you have to be aware of user name vs. user ID number.
21
22 Stroller.