From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 03:21:06
1 Jack wrote:
2 > Relying on the collective experience and advice of the group here.
3 >
4 > As may be obvious to many of you, the address this message is sent
5 > from "...@×××××××××××××××××.net" isn't really a fully functional
6 > address.  Email sent to that address will be forwarded by the
7 > sourceforge system to a personal address I specify.  When I send a
8 > message "From: " that address, however, I cannot send it through the
9 > sourceforge system, as I don't actually have an email account with
10 > them.  Currently, I send it through my gmail account.  That works
11 > because I added that address in my gmail Settings under "Accounts and
12 > Import" /  "Send mail as:".  To set it up, gmail sends a message to
13 > that address, and I click on a link in the message to prove it does
14 > come to me.  That's been working find for a long time, but, ...
15 >
16 > I'm trying to move away from gmail.  Especially for mailing lists like
17 > this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I get the
18 > message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in my inbox
19 > because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
20 >
21 > I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
22 > namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a similar
23 > setup.  I'm not even sure they actually understand what I'm asking of
24 > them, but I've wasted more than enough time trying.
25 >
26 > So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service provider that
27 > understands this and will let me set it up.  I have my own domain, but
28 > namecheap.com does seem willing to have the appropriate DNS record
29 > point to a different email provider.  At this point, I'm not
30 > interested in running my own email server.  I currently only need two
31 > mailboxes, maybe a small number more in the future, but this is
32 > personal, not commercial.  I don't need to do bulk emails, maybe up to
33 > a dozen or so recipients.  I do NOT expect it to be free, but cost is
34 > at least some consideration.  I don't need huge storage limits, as
35 > although I use IMAP access when on the road, when I'm home, I use POP3
36 > to download everything.  I'd also like at least minimal control over
37 > spam filtering, mainly to let almost anything through for me to filter
38 > locally.  If privateemail.com has false positives for everything from
39 > some sender (such as ups.com, for example) I need to open a ticket
40 > with them to add a whitelist.  No such thing as clicking on "Not spam"
41 > and apparently no intent to ever do so.
42 >
43 > Thanks for any suggestions.
44 >
45 > Jack
49 I knew I would do this.  I decided to search for it and it hit me,
50 startmail.com.  https://www.startmail.com  Hopefully that link will
51 work.  That said, there may be even better out there with costs that
52 vary.  Generally, the more secure, the higher the cost but not always.
53 A couple go to far for me.  I store my emails locally so I use POP or
54 whatever to fetch them.  Some secure systems do not allow that.  Secures
55 emails may use some other connection method.
56
57 When I did my search, I found this site that talks about the pros and
58 cons of several providers.  You may find it a interesting read.  It
59 lists several sites and talks about how they work, what they offer and
60 what they don't and costs.  It also links to a article about PGP that
61 you may want to read as well, I'm about to myself.
62
63 https://restoreprivacy.com/private-secure-email/
64
65 Hope that helps and by all means, post what you pick and why.  It may
66 help others and even myself.
67
68 Dale
69