From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] * Boot (initramfs) .. does not continue
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:47:54
1 On Sat, 16 May 2009 16:01:10 +0200
2 Maximilian Bräutigam <max-braeu@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > all of your mentioned options are enabled (since genkernel and me did
5 > it).
6 >
7 > i copied all data to another partition /dev/sdb9 and disabled initrd. by
8 > the way, i think that initrd was running, because all the scans after
9 > executing the initrd ran without problems. despite, i disabled it and
10 > got a kernel panic, like:
11 >
12 > """
13 > [md] scanned 0 and added 0
14 > ...
15 > VFS: cannot open root device "sdb9" or unknown block(0,0)
16 > please append correct "root="
17 > ...
18 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
19 > unknown-block(0,0)
20 > """
21
22 I think there should also be a list of detected partitions (if any).
23
24 > i don't know how to handel this error, since my grub entry is correct
25 > (or not?):
26 >
27 > """
28 > title Gentoo Linux x86_64-2.6.28-5 (no initrd) (on /dev/sdb9)
29 > root (hd1,8)
30 > kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.28-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/sdb9
31 > """
32
33 Looks correct to me.
34 "kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/md0" works fine in my case with RAID1 and
35 posted above settings, nearly all the other device drivers are modular.
36
37 Prehaps it's just some weird version-hardware compatibility issue or
38 build problem, although I believe it's quite rare with disk / fs
39 drivers, so you must be doing something wrong.
40
41 Try stopping the system boot as soon as possible using "I" key, exiting
42 to shell, and look at the output of "lsmod".
43 It should list the stuff you have loaded as modules, which were probably
44 loaded from initrd (since the system won't boot w/o it), so you can try
45 either compiling the relevant ones in or dropping them from initrd to
46 see if the system can boot (yeah, sounds crazy, but it might be just
47 simplier ;)
48
49 With some luck, there might be something critical you've just managed
50 to miss, easily detectable at the first glance.
53 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net