From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [off-topic] RPM binary on Gentoo
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 19:20:17
1 On Monday 06 April 2009 14:30:55 Justin wrote:
2 > Mick schrieb:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > I have an rpm binary which looks like this on a RH
6 > > machine: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/packageXXX.el5.i386.rpm
7 > >
8 > > How can I use this on a gentoo machine (I understand that it won't be
9 > > maintained by portage).
10 >
11 > Just emerge yum.
12
13 No, just don't. How do you expect yum to operate correctly without a gully
14 populated rpm database? It will fail (as already said by another poster).
15
16 Fact is, a portage system is in no state to deal with an rpm natively. It
17 doesn't know what to do with it, doesn't understand how or where to get the
18 pre/post install scripts and rpm does not know how to deal with portage file
19 collisions.
20
21 You are asking a user to run two package managers in parallel, both unaware of
22 each other. This is suicide.
23
24 Correct way: realize you are trying to do something no package manager is
25 built to do. So, you do it manually. Convert the rpm to a tarball, extract it
26 and do all install steps manually. It's a good idea to install the binaries to
27 /usr/local/ or /opt/ - the correct place to put binaries unknown to a package
28 manger (portage won't nuke them there)
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com