From: "Nelson
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Native 64-bit Intel Core Duo 2 system?
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:46:05
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Thomas T. Veldhouse [mailto:veldy@×××××.net]
3 > Sent: 08 January 2007 13:46
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Native 64-bit Intel Core Duo 2 system?
8 > Is there any documentation on setting up a native system on my 64-bit
9 > Intel Core Duo 2 system (E6600)? I note there was mention of new
10 > compiler options to build for core 2 duo, but I haven't seen anything
11 > specific for a new install.
12 >
13 > Thanks,
14 >
15 > Tom Veldhouse
16 >
17 > --
18 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
22 This article: http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/22/0415251 is from August 06 and says that
23
24 "Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any new optimizations for the Conroe in GCC yet. For 32-bit, I chose the Pentium M architecture as the closest match, and I added SSE2 support via a secondary compiler flag. For 64-bit, I has only one option for Intel 64-bit processors which was for a "Nocona" core."
25
26 (in reference to compiling Gentoo for the Core 2 Duo)
27
28 A glance at the Gentoo Wiki: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Intel_Core_2_Solo.2FDuo_.28Allendale.2C_Conroe.2C_Merom.29 says "Note: As of GCC 4.3, you can set -march to "core2". This also enables the SSE3 instruction set, also new in 4.3." although it says there you can use march=nocona for a 64bit install.
29
30 Hope this helps :)
31
32 David
33 Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of success. I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this list.
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list