From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is 'MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load-average=5"' silly?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:27:21
1 Am 25.03.2013 21:57, schrieb gottlieb@×××.edu:
2 > For a long time I have had in make.conf
3 >
4 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --deep --tree --verbose --jobs --load-average=5"
5 > MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load-average=5"
6 >
7 > (for previous processors the 5 was 3).
8 >
9 > It seems that this configuration fails for several packages (or tickles
10 > bugs in their ebuilds/Makefiles).
11 >
12 > Lately whenever a build fails I change to
13 >
14 > MAKEOPTS="--jobs=1"
15 >
16 > and this very often "fixes" the problem.
17 >
18 > It is not clear that any time saved by having jobs=5 compensates for
19 > having to redo builds. So my question is do people
20 >
21 > 1. keep jobs=1 in MAKEOPTS
22 > 2. have jobs=n in MAKEOPTS but degrade on error as I do
23 > 3. have jobs=n and file bugs when it fails.
24 >
25 > thanks,
26 > allan
27 >
28 > PS I do not change EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS
31 This is what I use:
32 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=2 --load-average=6"
33
34 I havent't had any failed builds that were related to the --jobs option.
35 The only exception is when rebuilding my kernel modules. I have to build
36 spl first, then zfs-kmod. But that's because zfs-kmod requires a
37 complete built spl.