From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 15:26:07
1 On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:12:14 PM EST Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 20/12/2016 19:04, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 > > On 12/19/2016 1:15 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 > >> "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> writes:
5 > >>> Similarly, the vast majority of home users have a machine with one
6 > >>> ethernet port, and in the past it's always been eth0.
7 > >>
8 > >> Since 10 years or so, the default is two ports.
9 > >
10 > > Not sure where you buy your machines, but that is simply wrong. The vast
11 > > majority of *home* users machines are single port machines.
12 >
13 > and every rack server I've bought or worked on in the last 10 years has
14 > been quad-nic
15
16 My DL160s have 2x1GbE NICs each and a 1GbE NIC for OOB access, while my DL360s
17 have 4x1GbE NICs and the single for OOB access. My old BL460cs had 2x1GbE
18 connectivity.
19
20 But as far as home hardware, most pre-assembled home desktops I've seen any
21 given year since 1998or so, have come with a single Ethernet port. The
22 motherboards available for self-assembled PCs have usually had 2x1GbE since
23 roughly 2005, IIRC.
24
25 So, enthusiast systems (who else builds their own?) will usually have a pair
26 of Ethernet ports, while the cheap desktop systems will usually only have a
27 single port.
28
29 Most casual user home desktop systems, IME, have been getting replaced with
30 laptops and tablets, though, so you could argue that the home desktops that
31 remain, over time, have tended more and more to be the self-assembled or
32 enthusiast-built systems, and thus you tend to see desktop systems with
33 multiple Ethernet ports more than with singles.