From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 on a 64bit system?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 17:51:39
1 On 2/14/21 12:22 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 2/13/21 9:38 PM, Dan Egli wrote:
3 >> Frankly, I find there's still too many programs that want 32bit
4 >> libraries to go full no-multilib.
5 >
6 > Are the programs that you're referring to things that are installed
7 > through something other than emerge?
8 >
9 > I'd naively assume that anything emerged on a system with no-multilib
10 > would be 64-bit.
11 >
12 > What am I missing?
13 As I remember, /lib and /usr/lib hold not only 32 bit libraries, but
14 non-arch or arch-irrelevant (I know there's a better term) files. Maybe
15 they are not explicitly libraries, but things like perl, python, or
16 shell scripts.  I don't think you can completely get rid of it.  I make
17 no claim as to whether you could get rid of all 32 bit libraries.