From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] re: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to parent make rule.
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 23:47:55
1 Howdy,
2
3 I've seen this warning generated for a couple of packages lately.
4
5 >>> Messages generated by process 3353 on 2014-07-28 08:45:18 EEST for
6 package x11-misc/xscreensaver-5.29:
7
8 QA: install
9 QA Notice: make jobserver unavailable:
10
11 make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to
12 parent make rule.
13
14 >>> Messages generated by process 3391 on 2014-08-10 09:04:54 EEST for
15 package dev-libs/openssl-1.0.1i:
16
17 QA: install
18 QA Notice: make jobserver unavailable:
19
20 make[2]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to
21 parent make rule.
22
23 Is this something that requires the user to act upon, or does it
24 indicate a deficiency in one of the makefiles that came with the package?
25
26 If I am reading the extract below correctly, it is the latter.
29 https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Error-Messages.html
30
31 'warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to parent make rule.'
32 In order for |make| processes to communicate, the parent will pass
33 information to the child. Since this could result in problems if the
34 child process isn't actually a |make|, the parent will only do this
35 if it thinks the child is a |make|. The parent uses the normal
36 algorithms to determine this (see How the |MAKE| Variable Works
37 <https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/MAKE-Variable.html#MAKE-Variable>).
38 If the makefile is constructed such that the parent doesn't know the
39 child is a |make| process, then the child will receive only part of
40 the information necessary. In this case, the child will generate
41 this warning message and proceed with its build in a sequential manner.
42
43 Thanks.