From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 23:08:18
1 Hi,
2
3 Ask not "will this work on Gentoo", rather ask "will this work on
4 Linux"! You'll get much better responses to your research on google at
5 least. If it works on any mainstream Linux distribution, there's a
6 99.9% chance it will work on Gentoo.
7
8 For example, I just did a google search for "NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M
9 linux" and found out in a few seconds that it probably works with
10 nvidia-drivers 260.19.06, but not nouveau (open source drivers).
11 http://packages.gentoo.org/package/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers tells me
12 that nvidia-drivers 260.19.06 and 260.19.12 are hard-masked because
13 they're in the beta phase, so you may or may not have success with them.
14
15 You can repeat that search ("hardware-device linux") for all the usual
16 problematic hardware that you decide you "must have" working:
17 * video camera
18 * wireless
19 * ethernet
20 * bluetooth
21 * audio
22
23 however you need the actual chip or vendor name, for example "Intel
24 PRO/Wireless 4965" not just "Integrated 802.11". The specs you gave are
25 a bit light on those details. The best way to do this is run lspci on
26 the box in the store as someone mentioned.
27
28 Yes you will be able to install Linux on it for sure. Still not sure
29 about 100% hardware compatibility.
30
31 HTH,
35 We have not inherited the earth from our parents, we've borrowed it from
36 our children.