From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resurrecting a Gentoo install
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 19:06:00
1 On 20 January 2012, at 23:58, Grant wrote:
2
3 >> OK, so the install is old and portage has dependencies, right?
4 >>
5 >> emerge -pvDuN portage
6 >>
7 >> will get you closer. However this is probably best covered using
8 >> Neil's suggestion of
9 >>
10 >> emerge -pvDuN @system
11 >
12 > I can't even get started:
13 >
14 > # emerge -avDuN system
15 > [snip]
16 > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "" have
17 > been masked.
18 > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
19 > - sys-auth/pambase-20101024-r1 (masked by: EAPI 4)
20 > - sys-auth/pambase-20101024 (masked by: EAPI 3)
21 >
22 > The current version of portage supports EAPI '2'. You must upgrade to a
23 > newer version of portage before EAPI masked packages can be installed.
26 You can get pambase-20081028 from the Gentoo CVS attic [1], add it to your local overlay and emerge it. Once that is done you can carry on, but you'll probably find more blockers, and you'll have to do the same thing again a few times until you can upgrade to the current version of Portage (or whatever).
27
28 I have done this 2 or 3 times in the past and it is normally viable - it's just a HUGE pain and will have you pulling your hair out.
29
30 Alternatively, if you can find Portage snapshots which break up the updating period then this will reduce the pain. Ideally what you want to do is find a snapshot which is 4 - 6 months newer than your last update and update to that. I would probably update --deep, though safest is to update most every package on the system. Once you have updated that far, make a new update for another 6 months newer, and so on until you're current.
31
32 I have here the following snapshots:
33
34 portage.snapshot.2009-04-12.tar.xz
35 portage.snapshot.2009-07-01.tar.bz2
36 portage.snapshot.2009-12-20.tar.bz2
37 portage.snapshot.2010-01-28.tar.bz2
38 portage.snapshot.2010-02-23.tar.bz2
39 portage.snapshot.2010-03-30.tar.bz2
40 portage.snapshot.2010-10-07.tar.bz2
41
42 I highly recommend you use them. The ebuilds you need (for example an older pambase) will be in the snapshot and they'll be unmasked. When you emerge the package it will simply get the older releases from Sourceforge or wherever.
43
44 Email me directly and I'll sort out some way to send these to you.
45
46 Stroller.
49 [1] http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/
50 Unfortunately the attic is timing out for me right now, so I can't give you a more direct link.